12 April 2008

Wevelgem kermesse

Today was a short day as I only made it less than an hour in the Wevelgem kermesse. The course consisted of 20 – 6.25 km (total 125 km) laps with several corners and quite a bit of wind. It was slightly technical and the field of about 100 guys was strung out most of the time. I began the race toward the front of the peloton but found myself in the back after only a few laps. I think it was a combination of slightly tired legs and the technical course. I attempted moving up several times but couldn’t move up quite enough to make a difference. Eventually, a split occurred in the field and I was in the back still with blown up legs. I definitely worked a little harder than I had to being in the back. I pulled out with a teammate and ended up spinning around easily for about an hour to cool down.

The ride back home involved listening to some music and downing some energy bars: