23 June 2008

Back in the States!

My stay in Belgium has come to an end for the season. I consider my experience, with the Johan Bruyneel Cycling Academy (JBCA), in Belgium very beneficial to my cycling career. I learned a great deal about cycling during my three month stay in Hertsberge, Belgium and will take away quite a bit of knowledge that I gained while racing there. It takes just as much mental strength as well as physical ability to become a great cyclist. I was exposed to the harsh weather of the spring classic racing scene, cobbles, the Belgian crack, peloton sizes over 200, the intense Belgian cyclists, kermesse and UCI racing, and much more.


The weather and harsh conditions of the early season races consisted of cold rain, hail, wind, and narrow windy roads which can be both mentally and physically daunting. The first couple of races were used to adjust to the new conditions: the legs having to be rubbed down with hot embrocation, avoiding sliding out on slippery roads, riding in echelons and pacelines affectively as to not expend more energy than you have to, and riding with the constant spray of water (typically a concoction of cow manure and diesel) from the rear wheel directly in front of you. You quickly become accustom to the Belgian setting and environment and can then focus more on training and racing.

Many of the races I participated in were kermesse events. These were where I would be introduced to even more Belgian racing elements. The kermesses typically ranged in distance from 100 to 120 kilometers and were typically very fast. They are basically like a two and half hour criterium. A “true” kermesse included windy narrow roads, cobbles, and lots of wind. I also had to deal with the Belgian racers who were not afraid to inform you that you were an asshole (excuse the language!) or a stupid American who didn’t know how to race bicycles. These were the riders you jockeyed position for. I typically did not have a response for their Flemish or French remarks but did find myself bumping bars and elbows with several of them. It becomes second nature feeling brake/shifter levers and bars rubbing the sides of your hips, and fighting to keep that nuisance of a rider from trying to take over the draft from in front of you. In kermesse racing you see hand slings, riders moving forward by grabbing a nearby seatpost and slinging themselves closer to the front of the peloton, and a lot of breakaway attempts. There is quite a bit of surging in kermesse racing. The peloton will slow down considerably when approaching turns or corners and sprint aggressively out of each one. It takes good base training and decent position in the peloton to earn decent results.

Thanks to Bernard Moerman, Ann, and the rest of the staff, I was able to experience life as a professional cyclist would. I had a place to stay, didn’t have to worry about work, transportation and coaching was provided, and I was able to race a lot. I was able to focus on my training, nutrition, racing, and most of all recovery. Bernard was always there to tell us to eat and drink more during races, was able to give advice on how to be more comfortable in the peloton, and how to make oneself a better and more competitive cyclist. He truly cared about our potential and motivated us to reach our goals. He was always honest and straight to the point when it came to advice. He was always concerned about our development as a cyclist. Ann was the Mom away from home and was always there to give a mental boost. She also was very welcoming and a huge backing during races. She was always there to rub down legs before races and miraculously scurried around to each of the feed zones to rifle off bottles to the team.

I would also like to thank Bend Bike N Sport for being such a great support and awesome friends. They have been able to help me out ever since they moved into their home off Century Drive in Bend, Oregon. Before my trip over to Belgium, Jason built me a great set of wheels which stood up to the Belgian cobbles and the unrelenting spring classic weather. They also provided me with ride food, tips, and great moral support. I always heard hellos and good lucks sent my way through my Dad whom I talked to regularly. I also talked to them through instant messaging and through skype and was able to share some of my interesting Belgian stories. They have always supported and cared for my goals in cycling and have been a great shop to go to. I can’t wait to get back to Bend and see Beverly, Alan, and the crew. There’s nothing better than getting to look at some bikes, share some laughs, and chat about cycling with everyone there. Thanks guys!



As for now, I am just training in Corvallis, Oregon and preparing myself for the Cascade Cycling Classic which begins on July 9th in Bend, Oregon. I am really focusing on nutrition and some good quality riding before the hard stages ahead.