13 February 2011

THE INFAMOUS FRANGIPANNE

Expanding a bit on my previous post, today’s ride was by no means a photo op day but more of a food bliss day. It started off like any other morning with my pre-ride breakfast, a little coffee, filled the bottles and headed out the door. My route would take me to the small historic gold mining town of Julian located in the mountains, Northeast of San Diego, just over 4000 ft. There wasn’t anything really exciting during the first 3 hours of the ride as I made my uphill adventure on meandering highways through the San Diego sprawl, Ramona, and Santa Ysabel. When I approached the final stretch to Julian I began thinking of where the mid-ride refuel was going to take place. Typically, it’s the generic gas station but this time I figured I would change it up a bit.



I glanced to the right and saw a small store front, clad in red, with a small sign where I picked out the words: European, Pastries, and Espresso. What better?! Even though it was the first shop at the city limit I was going to give it a try. After walking in, I knew I was in the right place. Glass cases elegantly displayed pastries, cookies, and treats while a chalk board overhead provided a simple selection of handcrafted sandwiches and soups to choose from. Glancing over the assortment of goodies I found the mysterious frangipanne I have been craving since racing in Belgium in 2008. I quickly ordered a slice as well as a caramel apple tart (since Julian is known for their apples too) and coke which would be more than adequate to top the tanks for the beginning of the trek home. I picked out my spot at an outdoor table and almost dug in before snapping a few photos documenting the experience. The immediate conclusion: IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!



After savoring the last few crumbs, I went back inside to thank the executive pastry chef, Charles Scott, who was extremely personable and provided great conversation before I ordered one more slice to go and was on my way. Needless to say, I will be making a few more visits when it comes to those long days on the bike! Thanks Candied Apple for the great experience!