15 March 2011

RACE RECAP: TOUR DE MURRIETA


Only a week after racing the Merco Cycling Classic, I was hopping on the TT bike for the start of the Tour de Murrieta. This time the race consisted of accumulating points versus the lowest time since it was an omnium. 

The first day consisted of a 4.1 mile time trial which included 90 degree turns, energy sapping rollers, and a 1 mile finishing dirt climb. Once again, I went through my pre-TT warm up routine and made my way to the start tent. Clipped in, computer cleared, heart thumping, a few deep breaths, and the hand countdown began. Given the go, I stomped on the pedals down the slight downhill grade to the first 90 degree right turn. Not killing myself before the turn I made my way passed the corner marshal and sprinted it out again getting back up to speed. A slight crosswind gingerly tapped at my front wheel as I made my way over the first set of rollers. Another 90 degree right turn and more rollers bogged me down just slightly. Adjusting the gear ratio appropriately, I made my way to the gravel transition where the grade picked up to a 3% incline winding up the hillside.  Trying to pick the best line through the washed out turns, I bounced and fish tailed my way up to the finish. Trying to keep traction on the rear tire as well as staying aero in the headwind was the most difficult part of trying to find my rhythm and really tap out the power to the line. I stopped the clock at 11 minutes and 30 seconds for 28th place on the day. 

The next day began at 12:30 in old downtown Murrieta. A 75 minute, 1 mile loop, crit was on the menu. As with Merco the previous weekend, I slept in a bit and enjoyed my french press over a bowl of oats while getting inspiration from watching Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice live feeds. After rolling around for an hour and getting the legs going I lined up at the start. Only a lap into it a rider went down in the finish corner setting the mood for the race. A pretty scrappy race at the front, I found myself tail-gunning for the first 30 to 45 minutes conserving energy and picking the best lines through the corners. After seeing 30 minutes to go I began moving up a few guys at a time. Then bam, another crash! Scurrying around the mangled bikes and dispersed riders, I got back in the slipstream of the pack. Soon it was 5 laps to go and the pace picked up. Averaging 30 mph laps at the end it was a matter of just staying on the wheel inches from mine and seeing the pure sprinters battle it out to the line. Bahaati 1st, Clarke 2nd, Barlevav 3rd. Yep, definitely a sprinters finish! 


The third and last day of the omnium concluded with 16 laps of a 3.5 mile loop. Pretty much a slightly longer version of a crit. The course was primarily flat with some big ring rollers and a few turns. Not being a pure sprinter my goal of the day was to be aggressive and have a bit of luck finding a break. After a fast start and zipping around the course with lap times of seven to eight minutes, a break was established. Unfortunately, I was positioned in the wrong spot and missed the move that eventually stuck to the line. I finished in the main bunch again and ended up riding another two hours after reflecting on what I can tweek in the mental and physical department.  






With Murrieta behind me I now have the San Dimas stage race to look forward to.  With just under two weeks before the next race I will continue to work on the early season fitness, which is progressing well, and improving the mental sharpness needed to be aggressive in the field.