14 March 2008

New Place New Adventures

So I arrived in Hertsberge, Belgium on Wednesday. The traveling here consisted of being slightly nervous, excited, sad and ecstatic, confused, hurried, and so many other feelings that ran through my brain. To begin, my trip began in Redmond, Oregon where I experienced going through security and waiting for my plane on my own for the first time. I must say I felt a little flushed saying goodbye to my mom and giving her a hug goodbye right before I would continue on through the metal detector. I then waited for an hour until my small plane would arrive and spin its propellers up to the gate entrance. As I entered the plane, I took a deep breath and said goodbye to the mountains, Bend, my family, and my girlfriend. The takeoff was smooth and the flight attendant was very friendly and made for a comfortable flight. After sulking for about 30 minutes in the window seat, I became more excited as I approached San Francisco International airport. The landing, again was smooth, and finding my way to the next security station and gate in San Fran seemed to go with ease. I arrived at my gate and would have five hours to mull over the idea of leaving all my comfort behind in America. Needless to say I phoned my girlfriend, Meg, and my parents quite a bit while patiently waiting. After trying to avoid nodding off for the last hour, my seat was called to board the plane. Again, I took a deep breath, and excitement took over. I thought to myself, “Wow, I can’t believe I am going to be flying across the ocean. Such a large body of water”! Our takeoff was during darkness, so watching the runway speed by as I was pulled back into my seat was near to none. Just a bunch of blurry, colorful dots speckled the darkness. San Francisco is so beautiful at night. So many orange lights and grids packed into that bay area. During the first hour of the flight we encountered some turbulence, but I was not too concerned since I was so content with watching my new fave move, JUNO! I would watch the film and have a nice little packaged dinner then fall asleep. That was seriously the most uncomfortable, back wrenching night sleep I have ever had. I seriously need to help contribute to the public and invent a more comfortable sleeping seat for airplanes in the ECONOMY section. I would wake up at 4 am Bend time and notice that it was so sunny outside my window. OY! I arrived in London 20 minutes earlier than expected and got to go through security yet again. I learned to just follow the signs around the airport and everything will be okay. I also got to take a bus to get to my next terminal. That was soooo cool considering it was my first time driving on the left side of the road; legally. I then found my gate, again, and was greeted my two very nice English flight attendants. I boarded the plane an hour later and would be on my way to Belgium. Almost there!!! After napping, I woke up and there was only 10 minutes till our landing. When we got there I was able to collect my luggage easily and cruise right on through customs. Now the interesting part!

I was able to get to the train quite easily but, getting on the correct train was a different story. I hopped on the first train that came through the central station and scurried to find someone that spoke English. I found a man and wife about in their 50’s who took me under their wing and would eventually tell me that I was on the wrong train, but going in the right direction. We got off the current train and they told me exactly what to do and which train to get on after waiting at the station. They eventually met their train and were delighted enough with me that they gave me a business card to call them if I ever were to be visiting Brugge. My first friends here in Europe! I finally found my correct train and would click along the tracks until my final stop in Tielt, Belgium.

I would wait there for my team director, Bernard, to pick me up. He met me about 20 minutes later right as the train station closed and shuffled me out the door. We made our little narrow road drive on to the JBCA house where I was given my room and would begin my cycling aspirations.